Thursday, October 25, 2012

A trip half full.


I am officially on Fall Break! Even though it always feels like the weekend with 3 days of class and we’ve agreed there’s not much “study” in “study abroad” it’ll be nice to have a break from the classes that have taught me one thing: how to be in class physically but not mentally.

It will be nice to experience Prague now that it is fall and the leaves are changing colors. Last weekend, I went back to the little town of Cesky Krumlov with Erica, Marisa, and Erica’s mom and grandma who were visiting and it was beautiful. We took more “senior” pictures, played in the leaves, and drank champagne in the gardens. The rest of the weekend included a spur of the moment hang out at a really fancy bar where the price of my drink was worth it just for the popcorn and olives they give you. Then we walked over to karaoke where Sunny and I did a wonderful take on Moulin Rouge’s “Your Song”.


My time here in Prague is already half way over and as my bank account diminishes, and my journal gets more filled with my quote-worthy friends and memories I never want to forget, it’s about that time when everyone is getting a little homesick. In order to deal with this I’ve composed a list of reminders for myself and fellow abroad students even when you are craving a little taste of America.

What you want to do: Go to McDonalds after a night of good clean family fun.
Result: Disgust and shame
Instead: Drink water and go to bed.

What you want to do: Go to Starbucks
Result: Satisfying but expensive
Instead: Go to a café that you won’t be able to go to in 2 months

What you want to do: Watch American TV shows and movies
Result: You never leave your bed...I swear Hocus Pocus just popped onto my screen!
Instead: You’re in Prague. DVR and illegal downloading sites were invented for a reason.

What you want to do: Speak Czech
Result: Czenglish.
Instead: Smile and nod. Smile and nod.

Even though it will be nice to come home to a house ready for Christmas and family time in less than two months, if you tell me how many days left I have in Prague you WILL regret it.  I can’t handle all the sentimental talks about not going back to school with these people. On a happier note I received a care package with Top Ramen, Girl Scout Cookies and various other goodies yesterday. Thank you, Grandmama! 


Even Grandmama can get Girl Scouts this time of year.
What my Prague Family has been up to:
  • watching Mary-Kate & Ashley movies
  • using photobooth at random memorials in the middle of the night
  • using a potato as our "flat stanley"
  • continuing delicious weekly dinners
  • planning family vacations
  • having quality bonding time with lap tops and beer
  • dealing with my never-ending Harry Potter obsession
Pocket Bread and VLC. We are in the process of making a quote-wall so the wall isn't so bland for our weekly family dinner photos.

What my family back home has been up to:
  • Sydney has a new puppy! I have about 50 screenshots to suffice until I get to hold her in real life.
  • Happy Birthday Megan!
  • Happy Birthday Sydster!
  • I still don't know what Lyndsey is up to. 
  • Mom and Dad are about to go on 30 years! 
  • dealing with my never-ending Harry Potter obsession





No comments:

Post a Comment