Sunday, September 2, 2012

Trams don't stop!


Finally time to write! So after 18 hours of traveling and little to no sleep for the past 36 I arrived in Prague. My flight consisted of about an hour’s worth of sleep, thinking of hypothetical tragic situations while flying overseas, and a whole lot of Downton Abbey, Hunger Games, and Harry Potter- obviously the airline was notified of my tv and movie preferences. Frankfurt airport has quickly become one of my least favorite airports. I have had a fair share of airport experiences (sleeping in one earlier this summer which I do not recommend) but the hour in Frankfurt basically was me running from one end to the other while stopping at the ridiculously long line for security and I don’t know what I said to the guy in charge of the lines but he let me cut in front of basically everybody and I was able to get to my connecting flight in time with 10 minutes to spare. Upon arriving at my gate some German lady assumed I would want to answer questions about this lovely airport experience but I was too tired to try to get away. When I finally got on my last leg of flights they gave us cereal and some milk that definitely did not come from happy cows so DON’T drink it.

I met up with another girl in my program, Taylor and it was too complicated to figure out a payphone so we just used one of the taxis in the front hoping not to get Taken (just kidding Mom it was a very legitimate AAA taxi). Both of us being totally sleep deprived it still hadn’t hit us that we were in Prague and the fact that Rihanna was playing on the radio didn’t help. The taxi driver dropped us off at the address we pointed to but once he drove off we were left in front of a locked door having no idea what to do next. With no phone we knocked and finally some angry construction workers let us in. With the language barrier we couldn’t communicate with them and the front door locks so we were now locked in a dark building under construction. Finally one guy grabbed my suitcase and pointed that we had to climb up 5 flights of stairs (just like gypsum 502! ) but these stairs are about twice as long. After a lot of confusion we figured out our rooms, which are apparently less than half the size of the rooms in the other apartment complex but still a whole lot roomier than Sierra Madre or PCV. Starving, the few others that were there and I went to a random restaurant where we drank the first of many beers to come this semester and probably tipped the waitress way too much. 



Some things to note:
1. We love our bread, we love our butter but most of all Prague loves cauliflower...at our group dinner it was fried and at today’s lunch it was soup
2.  Old Town is SO beautiful. I’m not kidding Fantasyland is real and I live there!
3. Going to the 80s/90s music video bar is worth it even if jetlagged since I know more songs from those decades than the current one and dancing to Grease is just as fun as it was when I was 5.
4. They have a lot of bees here: Katie BEE WARNED….(or not ;) )
5. I’m surrounded by awesome people and the next 4 months is going to go by WAY too fast!
oh....and most importantly 6. TRAMS DON'T STOP!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment