Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lenka


Done with Czech Language and got an A! I could take it for the full semester but I think I’ve been lost in translation long enough…at least in a classroom anyways. Earlier I accidentally said I dance every morning and let’s face it I will never be able to say the number 4! (čtyři) My teacher, Lenka, was OSM* though (hehe Czech humor, please refer to footnotes). She would teach us common phrases like “Na Zdravi!” – “to good health” said when they cheers, “opici” which actually means “monkey” but it’s the equivalent to “hungover”, and “Fakt” - excuse my Czech, but that just means “really”.

Last day of Czech class with Lenka!
Lenka also taught us about Czech culture a bit. Here they not only celebrate birthdays but also your “name day”. So all the Karels will celebrate one day, all the Rachels, which is today, will celebrate one day and so on. Unfortunately MacKenzie doesn’t have a name day here, but I'm not surprised since 1) it's not Czech and 2) adults haven't been able to accept the fact that MacKenzie is indeed my first name since the first day of kindergarten. She also told us to not be offended when Czech people are rude. She explained that it’s not because we are American, it’s because they are just mean. So more of a it’s not me it’s them type thing…or that’s how I’ll interpret it. I guess I need to stop smiling in order to somewhat assimilate into this place. Eh…nevermind, that’s like asking a kid not to smile at Disneyland. I mean, if you’re surrounded by castles you are going to feel like a princess. Even though Czechs never seem to be in the best mood they must have a sense of humor with ads like this around: 



Also, Lenka told us they only say “I love you” in a romantic way, so they only tell their children “I like you”. Yet, they can say things like “Miluju jablkos” which would mean I love apples. So you can love apples but not your own child? Ok then… They also don’t tell their children they are proud of them or really any type of positive feedback. But they will say things like “you did terrible on that test!” hmmm…did I just solve the mystery of their unhappiness? Hierarchy of needs anyone? Maslow had something to say about self-esteem I believe.

In other news:

Some friends and I decided to visit Prague Castle Monday where we got some more zmrzlina! This is in front of St. Vitus Cathedral. I’m looking forward to coming back when I actually know some history about this place.


p.s. glad you guys are enjoying my blog! Miss you all! Get excited because next post involves one word: BABIES.


*osm: means 8 but pronounced like awesome, if you understand Czech, Lenka in fact is not 8 just to clarify.

No comments:

Post a Comment