Thursday, December 20, 2012

Na Shledanou Praha

I am officially back home in California after being awake for 48 hours and traveling for too much of that time.  It feels surreal that 4 months ago I was freaking out about leaving, wondering if it was too late just to go back to Cal Poly instead, I even was asking myself how studying abroad would even be fun. Basically I had no idea what to expect but forcing myself to get on the plane as a first time out-of-country traveler was the best decision I have ever made in my life.


The next four months I would visit six countries, make countless memories, and build friendships so strong it’s now hard for me to imagine my life without them. Our last weekend, my friends and I decided to attempt ice-skating. Well…it’s definitely not mine and Sunny’s thing as the wall became our best friend and we found a new way to entertain the rest of the fam, especially Ken. 


The next day we went to the Kozel brewery, which was probably what we drank the most of whilst being in Prague, including every family dinner. I’m pretty sure we were most excited for the gift shop, since all we could say was “beer socks”, and the Kozel mascot Olda – the most disgusting goat I have ever interacted with. 

Left: Erica doing her last touristy thing on her last day: the only cubist lampost in the world!
Right: At the beginning of the 2.5 hour long bus stop wait from the Kozel Brewery
After taking a tour of the brewery in Czech, since English was not an option, we got some lunch and thought our timing was perfect to make the earlier bus. Well, 2.5 hours later we thought wrong after finding out one bus was cancelled, taxis “were not possible” and our last resort was going to be Jan personally picking us up. We were too paranoid to go back to the restaurant in case the bus finally did show up so all we could do was huddle together for warmth and hope Rachel’s feet wouldn’t fall off. After being in the cold for 2.5 hours while Sunny, Jesse, and I were having flashbacks to the “World’s Loneliest Bus Stop” from the Hell Hike (May the odds be EVER in your favor.) the bus finally showed up.

Me, Erica, and Marisa with program directors Richard and Jan who make USAC the best program choice!
The next couple days would involve multiple farewell parties and too many goodbyes. On Sunday, after the Secret Santa Party, Marisa’s parents (two of the coolest people you will ever meet) generously treated us all to a couple beers at the Beer Museum on their last night visiting. Then, with a craving for a final fried cheese sandwich the family and I decided to detour to Winceslaus Square one last time.

Monday, being our last day, dragged on as it was filled with packing, last minute Christmas shopping, and getting it all done so we’d have enough time to have a last dinner at our pub that we went to at least once a week, and say our real final goodbyes at 3:30 am when group transportation was arriving to take a handful of us away. It’s amazing to think four months ago we all didn’t know each other and now saying goodbye felt like the hardest thing to do. I don’t really know what else to say, but thanks to everyone who followed my travels abroad and most of all the people that made Prague a home.


Things I’ll miss:
  • Sitting around the kitchen table in apartment 5b
  • Nights at our pub
  • Impromptu snowball fights
  • Jan’s adorable fatherly ways
  • The beer opener hanging by a string on the door at the Potroviny down from R30
  • Midnight adventures to random memorials or Charles Bridge
  • Half a liter of beer for 10kc (50 cents)
  • “Pristi Stanice I.P. Pavlova”
  • Being 20 years old in Europe…6 more months
  • Prague puns
  • Family dinners
  • The Family <3


Things I could live without:
  • The anxiety I feel at the checkout counter of Billa
  • Hang-drying clothes
  • Never fully aware of what I’m buying at the grocery store
  • Waking up to the sound of jackhammers every morning
  • The freezing air from the metro escalators

 However, if I had to continue living with all those little annoyances and it meant I could be back in Prague with the same people that made this semester the best time of my life I would be there in a heartbeat…even if that means going through Frankfurt airport again.

I miss everyone already and I now get to look forward to reunions, facebook stalking to keep in touch, my friends back at Cal Poly, and this little cutie that surprised me when I got home! Meet Česnečka! 

English Translation: Garlic Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment